Tuesday, March 21, 2017

Icebreakers and Getting to Know you Questions

A list of 5 interesting questions to ask each group member during socialization. Examples – birthdates, birth order, etc. List all questions and summarize answers for each group member. This questioning must be done in the presence of all group members.

  1. Why do you stay in the NOVA/Fredericksburg area?
Michael: twofold plenty of job opportunities, my wife loves theatre, this is a great area for her to teach theatre.
Dan: My wife loves the area, she has fond memories of the area and I found a job. She is from PA and likes to see her family once a month. I really like this area too. My undergraduate was in history, this area is so rich in history.
Kim: My husband and I moved to the area two years ago, originally for work. I first worked from home full time, then got a job at Dahlgren. I’m not tied to the area. I’d like to move with DOD eventually overseas, ideally, Italy. I’m not tied to the area, I like the area but my goal was to get my MBA through my job.
Ray: Born and raised in NOVA, about 10 minutes from the dulles airport. I like exploring DC. I’m mostly here for school and my job.
Sarah: I am by no means tied to the Fredericksburg area. I am here primarily for work. I moved to Virginia from Baltimore, after graduating college to persue a job that would help develop leadership skills and would support my goal of obtaining an MBA degree.

  1. What makes you tick and why?
Ray: my biggest pet peeve is when I hear people chew things in quiet areas, such as chewing gum.
Kim: organizational, I like lists and being organized
Dan: I just want to have fun and finding meaning in what I’m doing
Michael: I like to stay busy. I don’t like to be idle
Sarah: I like accomplishing tasks, planning and hosting

  1. What’s your favorite song and why?

Dan: Grateful Dead - Wharf Rat - evokes good memories from my childhood, and when I was in high school I saw them in concert and music makes me tick.
Michael: Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here - I remember singing this song with my friends in a bar at the top of my lungs when we were absolutely hammered, I remember this song with lots of great times.
Kim: I don’t have a favorite song, music was not a pivotal moment in my life. My brother did a country dj stint and that genera resonates with me, and my dad did an oldies station and he used to dedicate “The Girl From Ipanema” to me. Country music from the 90’s and 2000’s and 50’s 60’s and 80’s oldies.  
Sarah: Tom Petty - Free Falling - This song makes me want to turn my radio up and reminds me of my childhood.
Ray: Notorious - Juicy - they tell stories in their verses and that really speaks to me.

  1. What’s your background?
Michael - I grew up on a dairy farm in upstate New York, I worked from the age of 5 on. I started my Associates to become an engineer but I stopped going to college when 9/11 happened and joined the Marine Corps. When I got out of the Marine Corps, I was living in Virginia, so I decided to stay here. When I got out of the Marine Corps, I finished my Bachelors and Masters. I also have two daughters.
Sarah - I grew up in New York, about an hour north of New York City, so I would visit Manhattan often. I miss the buzz of the city and sense of importance that I feel when I visit Manhattan. I graduated from Loyola University Maryland in 2012, and spend a semester in a small town outside of Madrid, Spain. After graduating from college, my boyfriend and I moved to Fredericksburg for work. I have a dog named Raleigh and I enjoy spending time outdoors.
Kim - I consider myself from upstate NY, almost Canada. My dad worked for the federal government, I spent 6.5 years in Japan, it’s so amazing! Climate there is like georgia. I moved back to the states my sophomore year of highschool. I went to SUNY Morrisville and majored in equine management. I learned that I am not horse woman. I transferred to a private college in WV, and got my bachelors in equine industry mgmt. My first job out of college was an administrative assistant for a non-profit recreational facility that was trying to create an equestrian center in morgantown, worked there for a few years. My dad suggested I look for a job with the federal government. I worked for OPM in Shepherdstown, WV. I started there in 2005, and I’ve worked for the federal government ever since. I transferred to the Navy about a year and half ago, which gave me the opportunity to get my masters. I don't have any kids of my own, but my husband does, my husband and I have been married for 4 years. His daughter came to live with us for awhile, but has since moved out, now his son has come to live with us. We may look at having kids in about a year when I get out of the masters program. I rode horses when I was in Japan, which caused me to get into equine management. I joke that my major is equine industry management, but my minor is mucking shit. I love to powerwash, in college, we would powerwash out the barns before a horse show, but you would have to wear a full covered suit and a hat. It taught me the value of hard work.
Dan - I grew up a navy brat, we moved every 3 years, I consider myself to be “from” Deland, FL. I spent 9 years in Indiana. My family first moved there in 1992, and I spent my sophomore and through senior year in Pendleton, Indiana. I put myself through school, but eventually had to withdraw because I ran out of money. I moved to Indianapolis, where I was a bartender. I moved  back home in May of 2001. When 9/11 happened, I joined the Navy. I did 15 years in the Navy. I got out of the Navy last July. Now that I’m out, I am able to go back to school. I earned my Undergraduate in 2015. I have 2 beautiful kids, and my wife Sandra. April 17th is our 10 year anniversary. My son starts kindergarten in the fall, and my daughter just turned 7.
Ray - I was born and raised in Fairfax, VA. I am very familiar with the DC area. I am a first born American on my mom’s side, they are all from Cuba. Half of my family moved to Florida and the other half live in Puerto Rico. I don’t speak much spanish. I went to Radford for economics. I tried to do a little bit of everything in college. I took 4 months to find a job, I took a job with Geico, who offered to pay for my Masters Degree. I don’t see much progression within Geico, my girlfriend works for the local government in Fairfax, we just moved in together in Woodbridge. In the future I would like to go back to NOVA, but I really love Colorado. My family skis, so that’s the background.

  1. What’s the goal of getting your MBA and what do you hope to gain from it?
Michael - Leverage
Sarah - Leverage
Kim - Leverage
Dan - It makes you more marketable and gives more tools in your toolbelt.  I want to have the leverage for bargaining power when negotiating for a bigger or better job.
Ray - Leverage

All: Leverage; Kim: I want to move to a different position/job when complete.


Summary
This exercise allowed us to loosen up and find commonalities. Ice breakers are great because they bring out a more playful side in people and make interactions not as serious. You can get to know who the person is and what is important to them. If you know motivates a person, you have a better understanding of their role in group projects and how team members can effectively work together.





No comments:

Post a Comment