Wednesday, May 3, 2017

Leadership Rolodex


Leadership Rolodex

         I joined the Navy when I was 25 years old. On the second day of boot camp, I was forced into a leadership role by one of my Recruit Division Commanders. There were about 6 other leaders randomly chosen that day. We were meant to guide our division of fresh recruits and lead them through Boot Camp. We each had a specific role or job to do. I was the Master at Arms, the rule enforcer. If you made a mistake while in your leadership position, you would get fired on the spot, and a replacement was made immediately after your departure from that role. That's when I learned that all people are replaceable and the  machine will keep turning even when I am not there. While I was performing my duties as Master at Arms, I learned to stand by the choices I made, and found conviction in those choices. I quickly realized that the choices I made, did not just affect me, but, my entire division. Until joining the Navy, I hadn't been placed in too many leadership positions. I graduated boot camp as their Master at Arms for Division 050 with the confidence that I could handle any leadership position.
         During my 15 years in the Navy, I have been placed in several leadership positions that required different roles and duties. During my time in the military, I experienced all types of leadership. Every leader I encountered, good, bad, or indifferent. I took a trait or something I learned from them. I incorporated that trait and put it into my leadership Rolodex. No situation is always the same, and when needed, I would thumb through my Rolodex and apply that trait, style, or learned skill to the situation.
         My leadership transition into the civilian world has been relatively seamless, except for a few techniques, or motivators that I once used while in the military. I am currently in a job position where leadership is not part of the job description. However, I am earning my MBA, taking this Leadership and Organization class, and still adding to my Rolodex. I have learned quite a bit from my peers in this class. I enjoyed the Scandura textbook and its comprehensive approach to Organizational Behavior. The students in the class offered real-life instances and application of the many principles that we learned from the class and reading materials. The class seemed a daunting endeavor in the beginning, however, all the material synthesized and I was able to see the intended connections. Dr. Gower was an excellent facilitator, and being a great facilitator is an excellent leadership trait. I will continue on my life's journey with an open heart and mind, exploring all the facets of leadership and its principles.


No comments:

Post a Comment