Tuesday, April 11, 2017

Reflections of Lincoln-Team of Rivals

I recently finished the Lincoln book, and while I know we are going to be talking it out and analyzing the details of the leadership qualities that Lincoln showed in his presidency, I wanted to take a minute to reflect back on some impressions I received and thoughts I had while reading the book.

I have never been a big Civil War buff, my dad and grandpa are, and when my parents lived in Fredericksburg my folks would go to battlefields and tours and dad would tell me all the interesting tidbits he picked up.  I nodded along politely, but it was too removed for me to get to invested in more than just some interesting history facts.  So when I learned we would have to read this very large book in a very short period of time, on a subject that at first glance didn't really seem to relate to the class topic, I was not thrilled.  I learned very quickly how wrong I was, on many counts.

To make efficient use of my time, I got an audio version of the book so I could listen while I commuted to work.  I quickly became so engrossed in the book that I would sit in the car a few extra minutes when I got to my destination just to finish a story or thought from the author.  I would laugh at the images that were created by the authors words, get saddened by the characters losses, and be fully outraged and aggravated on the Presidents' behalf from some slight or scheming done by his rivals. It made me laugh and depressed at the same time as I listened to the beginning of story as the author described the political climate of the day and the marches on Washington, and the outrage of the country and the radical change they felt was needed, and reflect on how 150+ years later, it resonated so deeply still with our current political climate.  With a few technology upgrades, Goodwin could have been describing the lead up and months of the 2016 election, right down to the backlash against immigrants.

I was fascinated by the description of the rivals and marveled at Goodwin's' research and depth of information on each of them.  Her descriptive style and evocative phrases painted a vivid picture in my mind of the men, the times, and the personality of each.  When the Civil War started and the Battle of Bull run was described, it made me want to drive to Manassas to walk the battlefield and contemplate the mistakes and missed opportunities.  The same was true for all the battles in places I have driven past, but never took the time to really see.

I told my dad about the book, he had already read it of course, but I shared my fascination and how the author made me feel like it just happened and my desire to see these places now so close to me. When I told him I was ready to strangle Chase and kick him back to OH he laughed and agreed. I marveled with him how Lincolns ideas were changed over time and how that made made him such a powerful leader that he was then able to change a counties collective mind.

Though I knew how the story must end, everyone knows, it was heart-wrenching to hear of Lincoln's assassination and how his once bitter rivals mourned him.  I couldn't help but think of all the good he could have done, had he lived and finished his term.  What would the present have been like, if Lincoln had been able to bring the South back into the Union in his way?  How much more progress would have been made in bringing the people together if he had been around and his genius with people and understanding and compassion been available to heal the wounds of war?

Lincolns' true genius was not his vision of what could be, but of how he made that vision a reality and why he wanted to.  He truly felt that all men were equal and deserved to be treated as such.  He felt that each person brought value and strengths and was humble enough to want the best for his nation, to include bringing all those strengths into his cabinet to be the best for everyone, though he had to work harder to manage their differences.  His self-mastery and ability to understand what motivates different people and therefore utilize that so they came around to his way of thinking was both subtle and powerful.  It was more than charisma, more than likability, Lincoln had a true fascination and caring for each person.  I wondered, as the book drew to a close, if perhaps he was a bit of an empath, for the level of emotional intelligence he was able to use is not seen in many.

While I am not sure this book will turn me into a Civil War nut like my dad, it definitely brought history alive and presented the challenges of political life and how to be a true leader.  I think we should all strive to have more leadership qualities that Lincoln showed; compassion towards everyone, restraint when in the face of anger or insult, patience and thoughtfulness before decisions, and a resolute determination to do the right thing with no wavering of your path. It made me think of the leader I want to be, where I can appreciate, value and seek those with different opinions, because it is ultimately better for the collective.  I will strive to remember compassion towards everyone, and to value and truly listen to anyone who has something to share, because of the value they feel from being listened to.  I love how Lincoln used stories to make his meaning clear and I want to develop that skill, so I don't come across as blunt but rather can convey and nudge my listener in a subtle way that they may not even realize.  So a book that I was skeptical of for a leadership class, imparted the best leadership lessons to me, all in a way that was subtle and fascinating.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment